The Star Trek communicator is one of the most-recognizable pieces of technology in the history of television. While Star Trek was originally airing back in the 1960s, Trekkies dreamed of a day where they’d be able to connect through a similar device — That day is today. ThinkGeek has unveiled a new officially licensed Bluetooth communicator that pairs with your mobile phone.
Priced at $150, the device makes its debut this week at San Diego Comic-Con and while it won’t be available until until January 2016, you can pre-order now at ThinkGeek.
Designed using structured-light 3D scans that were taken of the original prop, the communicator was created by The Wand Company. It feature wireless charging of its built-in lithium polymer battery, and has a range of 32 feet.
With the flick of a wrist, you will be answering calls like Kirk and Spock with the very first fully-functional wireless Star Trek Communicator. Is it accurate? Well, it was created using 3D scans of the alpha hero prop. How does it work? It pairs up with your Bluetooth®-enabled phone just like a wireless speaker or a pair of headphones would. Speaking of which, you can also use it as a speaker for hands-free calls or streaming music from your Bluetooth-enabled audio player. And a high-quality MEMS microphone ensures Scotty can make out your “One to beam up.” The stand also provides built-in wireless charging capability. And, in case it wasn’t already impressive enough, the Communicator has built-in authentic sound effects and conversation fragments from the Star Trek Universe for additional geek cred. As if you needed any additional geek cred after you whipped this baby out.
- First fully-functional wireless Star Trek communicator
- Officially-licensed Star Trek merchandise
- Pairs with Bluetooth®-enabled phones
- Designed using structured-light 3D scans taken of the alpha hero prop
- Includes authentic sound effects and conversation fragments from the Star Trek Universe
- Wireless Range: 32 ft.
- Speaker allows for hands-free calls or playing music
- High-quality MEMS microphone
- Materials: Combination of pressed metal, die-cast metal, machined aluminium, and textured ABS
- Magnetic stand with metal base and multi-colour LED charge status illumination
- Batteries: Built-in lithium polymer
- Stand supports wireless charging
- Dimensions: 4″ tall (closed) or 7″ tall (open) x 2 3/4″ wide x 1 1/2″ thick