Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

News

Bryan Fuller Steps Down As ‘Discovery’ Showrunner

Bryan Fuller Steps Down As 'Discovery' Showrunner

Bryan Fuller has stepped down as showrunner of Star Trek: Discovery. This news comes about a month before the series is set to start filming and was first reported by Variety.

Fuller, who previously worked on Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, signed on as showrunner for Discovery in February. Fuller reportedly stepped down from this position due to a strained workload between Discovery and two other projects he is involved in: American Gods for Starz, and NBC’s Amazing Stories.

“We are extremely happy with the creative direction of Star Trek: Discovery and the strong foundation that Bryan Fuller has helped us create for the series,” said CBS in a statement. “Due to Bryan’s other projects, he is no longer able to oversee the day-to-day of Star Trek, but he remains an executive producer, and will continue to map out the story arc for the entire season.”

The statement continued by saying how CBS is happy with what Fuller has produced thus far, but the network was unwilling to delay the show a second time. Discovery was originally planned to premiere in January, but in September it was announced that the show would swap premiere dates with another CBS show, The Good Wife.

Variety also reported that producer Akiva Goldsman will be joining the production crew of Discovery in a “top creative role.” His credits include I Am Legend (2007), A Beautiful Mind (2001), and The Da Vinci Code (2006).

Star Trek: Discovery is still set for its May 2017 premiere on CBS and CBS’ streaming service, CBS All Access. Follow TrekNews.net for the latest information about Star Trek: Discovery as we move closer to its premiere.

Written By

Kyle Hadyniak has been a lifelong Star Trek fan, and isn't ashamed to admit that Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and Star Trek: Nemesis are his favorite Star Trek movies. You can follow Kyle on Twitter @khady93.

2 Comments

2 Comments

  1. Arron Bubba Ratcliff

    October 26, 2016 at 9:16 pm

    Translation they fired him. The show is supposed to start production and filming in just a couple of weeks.The lead role hasn’t been cast yet and there’s been no announcements about other roles either. I don’t know about any one else but i think that’s worrying.By now the cast should be in place and doing script readings.i know CBS is banking on this to be the jewel of their subscription service so they want it to work. At 6 to 9 million an episode this should be the best looking star trek series ever.

  2. Mike Anderson

    November 27, 2016 at 2:09 pm

    Can’t believe that the only person with any history to to the franchise leaving isn’t bigger news, and that more isn’t being said about this?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Facebook

Twitter

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending Articles

News

The premiere of the fourth season of Star Trek: Discovery is right around the corner. Announced during the series’ Star Trek Day panel, Discovery...

News

It looks like Kate Mulgrew won’t be the only Voyager castmember returning to the Star Trek franchise in the upcoming animated series Star Trek:...

News

The cast of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has been revealed. Joining Anson Mount (Captain Christopher Pike), Rebecca Romijn (Una Chin-Riley/Number One) and Ethan...

News

The trailer for the second season of Star Trek: Picard made its debut during Wednesday’s Star Trek Day festivities. The trailer gives us a...

AboutContactTip UsTerms of UsePrivacy Notice

TrekNews.net, the website, the promotion thereof and/or any exhibition of material created by TrekNews.net is not endorsed or sponsored by or affiliated with CBS/Paramount Pictures or the STAR TREK franchise.


© 2011–2021 TrekNews.net