For months we’ve been wondering if there would be a medical officer aboard the U.S.S. Discovery when Star Trek: Discovery premieres in September. Well, now we know. On Saturday, during San Diego Comic-Con, Wilson Cruz was announced as playing Dr. Hugh Culber on the series.
The 43-year-old Brooklyn-born Puerto Rican actor rounds out the most diverse cast in Star Trek history.
Best known for his role as Enrique ‘Rickie’ Vasquez on My So Called Life, his television and film resume also includes Part of Five, NCIS, Pushing Daisies, Shameless, Nixon, Joyride and The Skinny.
Cruz joins Michelle Yeoh (Captain Philippa Georgiou) Jason Isaacs (Captain Gabriel Lorca), Sonequa Martin-Green (First Officer Michael Burnham), Chris Obi (T’Kuvma), Doug Jones (Lt. Saru), James Frain (Sarek), and Shazad Latif (Kol), Anthony Rapp (Lt. Stamets), Sam Vartholomeos (Ensign Connor), Mary Wiseman (Cadet Tilly), Mary Chieffo (L’Rell) and Rainn Wilson (Harry Mudd).
More Star Trek News From San Diego Comic-Con 2017
- Thrilling Second ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Trailer Premieres at SDCC
- Major ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Character Developments + News Revealed at SDCC
- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Props, Uniforms On Display at SDCC
- Full ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ SDCC Panel Details, Poster Giveaway, USS Discovery Pedicabs
- Star Trek Panels, Exclusives, Giveaways
- Klingon ‘Torchbearer’ Suit Revealed at SDCC
[amazon_link asins=’B013Q1BVIE,B01BP06ENA,B01N47VPJG,B01NAJ4HMI’ template=’ProductGrid’ store=’treknenet-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’c0dc10c4-6fb9-11e7-a92f-9bc3507619dd’]
(Feature photo credit: Evening Standard)